Tuesday, October 16, 2007

...

I was mulling over the fact that I’ve never had a near death experience... not in MY short life (as of till now that is)...


I was watching the “Most Amazing Moments” show on Nat Geo today. Daunting videos... awe-inspiring ones...
It’s not like that that was the first time I saw such a video. I’ve seen many of ‘em. But today, it was different... Different in a way that I just don’t seem to be able to explain. (I’ve been pausing after every few words, not being able to put down what I really think and feel, in a coherent manner). But what the heck! I’ll try to convey my feral thoughts through the following words.

The first video was of a guy skiing down a snow clad mountain. He is shown/seen right at the top of the mountain, turning right (his right) and just about to ski down. His ski gets caught in a hole. He tumbles and topples... serrated rocks and stone in his way... he falls down dangerously all the way to the bottom... scary that. Miraculously, he survives the plummeting fall... or should I use the word fortunately...

The second one was about a teenager of 19 years, clinging to dear life on a notched rock, waist deep in strong currents of river water, whose temperature is just above zero. He had broken his pelvic bone in two places, losing all corporal senses below his waist. Worse, just a few yards from him is a waterfall... the white waters gushing down forcefully.




Well, it’s been a month since I wrote the above few...er... sentences...

But yeah, I still feel the same, you know. Those scenarios ARE scary... mind-blowing... whatever you call it.

There was also this incident shown in Discovery channel, on “Million to one” (great show that is)... This lady gets up in the morning, walks down the few steps from her room to the bathroom, with a toothbrush in her mouth. She slips on the stairs and BOOM! The tooth brush is pushed deep down her throat by the impact of the fall and blocks her windpipe. Guess you know what happened next.

People have dropped down dead whilst going about their daily routine!

What the heck! Hypothetically speaking, I guess you better have, as Mad-Eye put it, ‘constant vigilance’!

I mean, I could get snuffed tomorrow! Or worse still (IS it worse?), the very next minute. Its not got to do with the ‘age factor’ you know. And death might conquer me (or is it the other way round?) in a very small, not-much-hyped-about kinda way...
Hell! I travel by my bike everyday, snaking my way amongst ‘bulky’ buses, speeding dingbats, rickety-rickshaws and not to mention the ubiquitous pedestrians! And I feel jittery! Sheesh! L X(

I guess this brings me back to the same question again... What IS the rationale of life?
Huh? Tell me?!


1 comment:

Cognoscis said...

The rationale of life...

Well, I have seen death closely and have even wondered on the same lines. But, I think the question has the answer in itself. You wrote that death could come anytime and from anywhere. So, obviously you have to be enjoying your time left rather than staring at the watch and feeling sorry that you have lost another minute of your precious life.